Friday, May 15, 2015

“You don’t believe in Him, do you?”
“No.”
“Things to me wouldn’t make sense without Him.”
“They don’t make sense to me with him.”

— Quiet American by Graham Greene


When I was young, I was the first character speaking. Now that I'm older, the second makes most sense. The belief in an all-powerful all-benevolent creatures does not square up with the acts in existence. A watch may imply a watchmaker, but it does not imply an omnipotent watchmaker; a child may imply a father, but it implies neither an omnipotent father nor an all-benevolent one.

We lack understanding,
so we daydream of an all-understanding being.
We lack total benevolence,
so we daydream of a totally benevolent being.
We lack [...]
[et cetra et cetra]

You say this metaphor is more fitting. I say that metaphor is more fitting. We point at the others' metaphor and scream false equivalency, but in the end it's all conjecture and there lays an inability to prove with totality. So it goes, I suppose.

###

No comments: