Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Once I wrote a song with a band about wanting to fuck Jesus.

In another era and geographic location, this would've gotten me burned at the stake.

Today in my era, it gets a shrug, perhaps a laugh. Mostly ignored.

If I said it about another religion's [model of ideal behavior], I could've had my head cut off.

Why write  a song like this? Well, your bandmates start playing music and I come up with lyrics. My lyrics aren't initially about wanting to sexually arouse the Jesus. I'd been listening to some of the good singles from Marilyn Manson, such as where he sings "I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist." And I also had enjoyed "Jesus Freak" by DC Talk, when I was a devout believer in the Christian faith back in high school. So I started singing, "we're the freak; we're the freaks, if you know what I mean," along with some lyrics like "love your enemies like Jesus toppled tables; [something something] about Cain killing Abel; and all your prophets and all their glory are hindered by the fact that they're hopelessly so boring."

None of those lyrics got in. Instead, my bandmate sang his verse about sexual lust for Jesus and only wanting to give it up to this [ideal]; this concept made more sense for our band, so the lyrics changed.

But why write this song? Well, you have to fill in the emptiness of the days somehow, and when your bandmates have a musical score, you fill in the lyrics somehow. It's funny -- haha homophonic polysemy: freak has that second sexual meaning. One is supposed to love Jesus, but obviously NOT IN THAT WAY, ha haha ha haha, the laugh ejaculates.

Due to the homophobic nature of the predominate modern Christian church, I think it was my way of sticking up a middle finger to all those individuals who under the Christian cloth would shame people for being queer (in whatever form that may be: sexual orientation or gender identity).

No comments: